- GRASS – Originally developed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, open source: a complete GIS
- SAGA GIS – System for Automated Geoscientific Analyses- a hybrid GIS software. SAGA has a unique Application Programming Interface (API) and a fast growing set of geoscientifc methods, bundled in exchangeable Module Libraries.
- Quantum GIS – QGIS is a user friendly Open Source GIS that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- MapWindow GIS – Free, open source GIS desktop application and programming component.
- ILWIS – ILWIS (Integrated Land and Water Information System) integrates image, vector and thematic data.
- gvSIG – Open source GIS written in Java.
- JUMP GIS / OpenJUMP – (Open) Java Unified Mapping Platform (the desktop GIS OpenJUMP, SkyJUMP, deeJUMP and Kosmo emerged from JUMP; see
- Kalypso (software) – Kalypso is an Open Source GIS (Java, GML3) and focuses mainly on numerical simulations in water management.
- TerraView – GIS desktop that handles vector and raster data stored in a relational or geo-relational database, i.e. a frontend for TerraLib.
Other GIS tools - classified
Note, for different categories of GIS tools see GIS software and
Spatial Database Management Systems
- PostGIS – Spatial extensions for the open source PostgreSQL database, allowing geospatial queries.
- H2Spatial for H2_(DBMS)
- SpatialLite for SQLite
- MySQL Spatial
- TerraLib is more than a spatial DBMS as it provides also adavanced functions for GIS analysis.
Software Development Frameworks and Libraries (non-web)
- GeoTools – Open source GIS toolkit written in Java, using Open Geospatial Consortium specifications.
- GDAL / OGR
Software Development Frameworks and Libraries (for web applications)
- MapFish A web 2.0 mapping development framework.
- OpenLayers – open source AJAX library for accessing geographic data layers of all kinds, originally developed and sponsored by MetaCarta
- Geomajas – Open source web toolkit with full vectorial and attribute editing capabilities and support for complex relation models (1 to n, n to 1, inheritance, ...). Built on top of the Dojo AJAX framework.
- FIST – FIST (Flexible Internet Spatial Template)is a MapServer/PHP framework with several advanced functions, optionally use PostGIS in the backend so your users can edit and save shapes and attributes.
- Chameleon – Environments for building applications with MapServer.
- GeoNetwork opensource – A catalog application to manage spatially referenced resources
- MapGuide Open Source – Web-based mapping server.
- Xastir A special purpose Open Source GIS application used as an APRS client by Amateur radio operators, written in C for X Window environments.